Nursing Home Quality Assurance & Performance Improvement
National Rollout of Nursing Home
Quality Assurance & Performance Improvement
2011 - A Busy Year:
We and our contractors established a QAPI program mandated by the Affordable Care Act. We produced tools and resources and developed technical assistance that will help nursing homes improve the lives of nursing home residents through continuous attention to quality of care and quality of life. Specifically, we:
- Reviewed existing tools and developed new ones that will help nursing homes implement and manage QAPI processes;
- Established a Technical Expert Panel (TEP) of national experts in nursing home quality to assist and guide in the development of the tools, resources and technical assistance that will be rolled out nationally;
- Developed and launched a demonstration project in 17 homes across 4 States to test implementation strategies and effectiveness of the QAPI project tools, resources, and technical assistance;
- Sent onsite technical assistance liaisons to visit each nursing home in the demonstration project, providing facilities with individualized technical assistance as well as eliciting specific feedback on the tools and resources being used;
- Developed learning collaboratives based on the IHI (Institute for Healthcare Improvement) model, which support and reinforce learning by the demonstration homes; and
- Engaged stakeholders from around the country in an ongoing dialogue around dissemination strategies for national rollout.
Moving Ahead in 2012:
Stakeholders can expect to see many activities as we continue preparation for release of early prototype QAPI tools and resources. These activities include the following:
- QAPI Questionnaire: In May 2012, we distributed a 20-minute questionnaire to a representative sample of 4,200 randomly selected nursing homes. We will use the findings to (1) address identified challenges and barriers to implementing effective QAPI programs and (2) shape the direction and content of the QAPI tools and resources.
- Rollout of Prototype Tools on CMS’ QAPI Webpage: In late 2012, or early 2013, we will post early prototypes of some of the tools and resources we have been developing. The prototypes will let nursing homes try these tools and resources so they can provide feedback. The tools will be posted in links below for easy downloading.
- Resources for Consumers: We will continue engaging consumers and consumer advocacy groups to help us develop resources and training materials that will empower consumers and advocates in their roles in nursing home QAPI.
- Tools and Education for Nursing Home Surveyors: We will continue to develop surveyor training materials and worksheets to enhance surveyors’ ability to identify QAPI concerns.
Visit the Downloads section of this page for more information about Nursing Home QAPI, including a copy of Section 6102 (c) of the Affordable Care Act.
- Page last Modified: 04/11/2013 10:38 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins