Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, Anesthesiologist Assistants, and Physician Assistants
The Medicare Learning Network® (MLN) Products Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, Anesthesiologist Assistants, and Physician Assistants (APRN/AA/PA) page provides CMS information and resources for APRNs, AAs, and PAs.
Apply & Enroll or Update
If you are an APRN/AA/PA caring for Medicare beneficiaries, you must be enrolled as a Medicare provider. Go to the Medicare Provider Supplier Enrollment page (see "Related Links" below) to apply for your National Provider Identifier (NPI) and enroll in the Medicare Provider Enrollment, Change, and Ownership System (PECOS). Also, use the NPI and PECOS links to keep your practice information current.
Educational Products for Health Care Professionals:
- Medicare Information for Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, Anesthesiologist Assistants, and Physician Assistants (September 2011) – This booklet is designed to provide education on services furnished by advanced practice registered nurses, anesthesiologist assistants, and physician assistants. It includes the following information about Medicare requirements for these provider types: required qualifications, coverage criteria, billing, and payment. Go to the “Downloads” section to view this publication.
To receive e-mails that contain consistent and accurate information about CMS Programs, subscribe to one or more of the Electronic Mailing Lists available for Medicare Fee-For-Service (FFS) Providers. For more information, scroll to the "Downloads" section and select the " CMS Electronic Mailing Lists: Keeping Medicare Fee-For-Service Providers Informed."
We also recommend that you become familiar with the following "Related Links":
- Transmittals - New or changed policies and/or procedures that are being incorporated into the program manuals can be found in program Transmittals.
- Internet-Only Manuals - CMS' program issuances, day-to-day operating instructions, policies, and procedures can be found in the Internet-Only Manuals.
If you would like to contact the MLN, please e-mail us at MLN@cms.hhs.gov.
- Medicare Provider-Supplier Enrollment
- Internet-Only Manuals (IOMs)
- MLN General Information
- MLN Product Ordering Page - Opens in a new window
- MLN Educational Web Guides
- MLN Multimedia
- MLN Matters Articles
- Web-Based Training (WBT) Courses - Opens in a new window
- CMS.HHS.gov Email Updates List
- MLN Opinion Page
- MLN Matters Electronic Mailing List - Opens in a new window
- Page last Modified: 05/20/2013 10:28 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins